Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pride.....in the name of


We had the wonderful opportunity to sit (or as it went, stand, for 5 hours) in a VIP section for Sydney Pride last night. Pride parades are always a mix of 'wow' and 'ohmygodididntneedtoseethat'. Last night was no different, we just had a better view of it. There was a lot of colour and celebrating and 'happyfuckingmardigras' and the whole city was just in a good mood. 

At 10.30pm (I know, you wouldn't guess this photo was taken at night but we were near the tv cameras so they had the street lit up almost like day time) (we were also standing near the float judges so everyone came over to us to show us, and more importantly the judges, what their float actually did). Okay, I used too many () in that sentence and now I've lost track of what I was saying....

Oh, the rain. 

Yes, it started to rain. You should have seen my hair. With 91% humidity all day and then rain, I was just a little frizz ball....but bugger it, I wasn't in the impending snowmagedon that is indianapolis so I was as happy as a pig in shit. We gayly ran through the rain....okay, maybe we gayly pranced with our kitty umbrella that our friend Nerrilee loaned us, but you know....we did it with pride. 

Pride parades always cause me to reflect on how we, the gay community, have come this far. I know the freedom I feel to hold the hand of the woman I love as I walk down the street has come because of the heartache, struggle and violence that people before me have had to endure. I am also painfully aware of how much further we have to go. There are a hundred stories I could tell you of lgbt families, friends and strangers being harassed, hounded and discriminated against for every 10 I could tell you of them being supported, embraced and welcomed. That statistic has to change. There are always going to be assholes in this world but there shouldn't be laws that allow one lot of people to purposely be assholes to another lot. It's that simple. 

But I digress. 

This night was about celebration and love and acceptance and pride. And leather chaps....lots of leather chaps with asses hanging out of them. 

Seriously, if my ass was that hairy, I would have to wax it. 

And now, I send you away with that visual....

xM

No comments:

Post a Comment